- Our History is the Future: Standing Rock versus the Dakota Access Pipeline, and the Long Tradition of Indigenous Resistance, Verso (forthcoming 2019).
- #NoDAPL and Mni Wiconi: Reflections on Standing Rock. Co-edited with Jaskiran Dhillon, University of Minnesota Press (forthcoming 2019).
- “Standing Rock, #NoDAPL, and Mni Wiconi” (co-edited with Jaskiran Dhillon), Hot Spots, Cultural Anthropology website, December 22, 2016.
- Special Issue: Essentializing Elizabeth Cook-Lynn (co-edited with Melanie K. Yazzie), Wicazo Sa Review 31, no. 1 (2016).
articles & book chapters
- “Anti-Indian Common Sense: Border Town Violence and Resistance in Mni Luzahan,” In Settler Colonialism and the Urban Prairie West, David Hugill and Tyler McCreary, eds., University of Manitoba Press (forthcoming 2019).
- “Fighting for Our Lives: #NoDAPL in Historical Context.” Wicazo Sa Review 32, no. 2 (forthcoming 2018).
- “Introduction: Standing Rock, #NoDAPL, and Mni Wiconi” (co-authored with Jaskiran Dhillon). Hot Spots, Cultural Anthropology website, December 22, 2016.
- “Guest Editor’s Introduction: Essentalizing Elizabeth Cook-Lynn” (co-authored with Melanie K. Yazzie). Wicazo Sa Review 31, no. 1 (2016): 9-26.
- “‘There are No Two Sides to This Story’: An Interview with Elizabeth Cook-Lynn.” Wicazo Sa Review 31, no. 1 (2016): 27-45.
- The Dehumanizing Review of “Heart Berries” by The Crimson (with Shelly Lowe and Pierre Bélanger), Harvard University Native American Program, Feb. 23, 2018.
- Dennis J. Banks, Naawakamig (1937–2017) (with Julian Brave Noisecat), Jacobin, Nov. 6, 2017.
- Born on the Fourth of July: Counterinsurgency, Indigenous Resistance, and Black Revolt, The Red Nation, Jul. 4, 2017.
- Honor the Palestinian Call for Academic Boycott: A Letter to Prof. James Anaya, Indian Country Today, Apr. 5, 2017.
- ‘The Supreme Law of the Land’: Standing Rock and the Dakota Access Pipeline (with Jeffery Ostler), Indian Country Today, Jan. 16, 2017.
- Indian Killers: Crime, Punishment, and Empire, The Red Nation, Jan. 11, 2017.
- The Old Indian War: Leonard Peltier and Standing Rock, The Red Nation, Dec. 9, 2017.
- “The Surrounded: #NoDAPL and Geographies of Indigenous Resistance,” The Funambulist, Issue 8, Nov.-Dec. 2016, 12-4.
- Fighting for Our Lives: #NoDAPL in Historical Context, The Red Nation, Sept. 18, 2016.
- Native Liberation: The Way Forward, The Red Nation, Aug. 17, 2016.
- A Native American Reflection on Nakba, The Nakba Files, Jul. 18, 2016.
- Off the Reservation: Lakota Life and Death in Rapid City, South Dakota, The Funambulist, Issue 5, May-June 2016, 22-7.
- Abolish the Racist Univ. of New Mexico Seal, Indian Country Today, Apr. 22, 2016.
- Abolish the Racist Seal, The Red Nation, Apr. 16, 2016.
- Police Killing Of Navajo Mother Spurs Winslow Community Calls for Justice, Indian Country Today, Apr. 4, 2016.
- This Land Was Made for Decolonized Love (coauthored with Kim Tallbear, Taté Walker, and Tasiyagnumpa Livermont), Indian Country Today, Mar. 7, 2016.
- Indigenous Peoples Day, Challenging Colonialism in Albuquerque and Beyond, Indian Country Today, Oct. 9, 2015.
- Cowboy & Rabbit, We Remember: Confronting ABQ’s Racist Violence Against Natives, The Red Nation, Jul. 20, 2015.
- Protect He Sapa, Stop Cultural Exploitation (coauthored with Tasiyagnunpa Livermont, Kim Tallbear, Richard Meyers, Joel Waters, Taté Walker), Indian Country Today, Jul. 14, 2015.
- ‘Blood Money’: Life and Death in Gallup, NM, Indian Country Today, Jan. 14, 2015.
- Racist City, SD: Life is Violent, and Often Deadly in Rapid City, Indian Country Today, Sept. 5, 2014.
- Welcome to Gallup, NM, Where ‘They Just Want Another Person Dead’, Indian Country Today, Aug. 29, 2014.
- Border Town, USA: An Ugly Reality Many Natives Call Home, Indian Country Today, Aug. 15, 2014.
- Chamberlain, South Dakota: A Border Town and Its ‘Indian Problem’, Indian Country Today, Jun. 25, 2014.
- Review of Awake: A Dream from Standing Rock by Myron Dewey, Josh Fox, and James Spione, Environmental History (Aril 2018).
- Review of More Than a Word, “Why a Team Name is More Than a (Racist) Word,” High Country News, Dec. 22, 2017.
- “‘We Can Be Here Another Five Hundred Years’: A Critical Reflection on Shiri Pasternak’s Grounded Authority,” review of Ground Authority: The Algonquins of Barriere Lake Against the State by Shiri Pasternak, Abolition Journal, Jul. 19, 2017.
- Review of Red Bird, Red Power: The Life and Legacy of Zitkala-Ša, by Tadeusz Lewandowski, Journal of Native American and Indigenous Studies 4, no. 1 (2017).
- Review of Little Business on the Prairie: Entrepreneurship, Prosperity, and Challenge in South Dakota, by Robert E. Wright. Harvard Business Review 90, no. 2 (2016): 362.
- Review of An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, La Jicarita, Oct. 10, 2014.
- “This is not a Peace Pipe: The Continued Struggle for Lakota Liberation,” review of The Great Sioux Nation Sitting in Judgment on America: An Oral History of the Sioux Nation and Its Struggle for Sovereignty, edited by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, Capitalism Nature Socialism 24, no. 3 (2013): 247-249.
- The Lessons of Standing Rock, Socialism 2017, Chicago, IL, Aug. 15, 2017.
- ‘I Am Not Afraid, I Have Relatives’: What It Means to Come Home in Times of War, Keynote Address, 7th Annual Native American Alumni Association, USD, Vermillion, SD, Apr. 7, 2017.
- Native Liberation: The Way Forward, closing remarks for The Red Nation’s first annual Native Liberation Conference, Albuquerque, NM, Aug. 13, 2016
- Education is Liberation: 2016 Lower Brule High School Commencement Speech, Lower Brule High School, Lower Brule Sioux Reservation, SD, May 21, 2016.
- Native Resistance and the Carceral State, Rustbelt Abolition Radio, Jul. 11, 2018.
- What does it really mean to decolonize? (feat. Eve Tuck, Nick Estes, and Nephi Craig), Native America Calling, KUNM, Albuquerque, NM, Dec. 13, 2016.
- Episode 45: Standing Rock 2 (feat. Nick Estes & Kristen Simmons), interview by Dominic Boyer and Cymene Howe, Cultures of Energy Podcast, Nov. 23, 2016.
- Standing Rock Water Protectors: A Community Roundtable Discussion, Generation Justice Podcast, UNM, Albuquerque, NM, Sept. 25, 2016.
- Episode 33: Standing Rock (feat. Jaskiran Dhillon & Nick Estes), interview by Dominic Boyer and Cymene Howe, Cultures of Energy Podcast, Sept. 15, 2016.
- Policing the Crisis of Indigenous Lives: An Interview with The Red Nation, interview by Christina Heatherton, Policing the Planet: Why Policing the Crisis Led to Black Lives Matter (Verso 2016), 109-19.
- The Seventh Generation, Generation Justice Podcast, UNM, Albuquerque, NM, Feb. 8, 2016.